Greek families began settling in the Windsor area in the early part of the 20th century. Their pioneering spirits led them, in one way or another, to this area in search of a better life for their families. Some decided to work in Canada for a while and return, while the majority chose to move their families to this country.
In this area, organizations began to form to service the common goal of furthering the Hellenic culture and Orthodox faith. During the dark years of World War II, local Greeks campaigned to raise funds and gather donations for their suffering relatives back home. The early organization collected thousands of dollars and tons of clothes for the Greek War Relief Fund of Canada.
In 1954, as part of the centennial celebrations for the city of Windsor, local Greeks were asked to participate in the All Nations Day. The proud and youthful Greeks of Windsor participated and continued to march in subsequent Canada Day parades.
This initiative led to further social gatherings and eventually to the founding in 1954 of the Greek Orthodox Community of Windsor with 76 founding members.
Waves of thousands of new Greek settlers settled in the Windsor area. At that time the community worshiped at St. George’s Romanian Church on Pierre Street with Greek priests from Detroit.
A lot at the corner of Ellis and Dufferin was purchased in 1959 and the first phase of the Church construction, the basement, was started in 1962.
The GOYA youth group was founded in 1967 and has been an energetic and dynamic organization ever since. Through social, sports and religions events it has drawn the youth of our community together.
Services were conducted in the basement for almost ten years. With the hard work and dedication of members and with the support of Plato Association (now Philiptochos), funds were raised to complete the church nave.
In 1971, construction was started on the second phase which would expand the building.
In September of 1975, the Church was consecrated by His Eminence Archbishop Iakovos, Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in North and South America.
The Greek School was started by the Plato Association (the forerunner of the Philoptochos) in 1957. Later, the School was run by the Community and heritage and dance classes were added.
In 1993, the Greek Orthodox Community of Windsor purchased the old Sicilia Club on Highway 3 in Oldcastle, just outside the city limit. Through the hard work of hundreds of volunteers, the mortgage was paid off in less then six years.